The Louisiana section of the Great River Road covers the area between Eudora, Arkansas and Venice, Louisiana. This route is packed with opportunities to view historic sites over the entire length of the ride and passes through both Baton Rouge and New Orleans.
The Louisiana Great River Road is unique in that it exists on both sides of the Mississippi River (all other states have routes on only 1 side). The Great River Road on the West side of the river links Eudora, Arkansas to Venice, Louisiana. On the East side of the river, you can trace the Great River Road from Point a la Hache, Louisiana to Woodville, Mississippi. In order to separate the two different routes, we have added “Alt” to the routes on the East side of the river.
Note: We have created 2 sets of routes for each state. 1 is for riding North to South and the other is for riding South to North. Each route is notated either N to S (for North to South) or S to N (for South to North).
Location: Eastern Louisiana
Approximate Mileage: 470 miles
Estimated Riding Time: 11 hours
- Pointe a la Hache - Pointe a al Hache Ferry, Historic Courthouse
- Plaquemine - Plaquemine Ferry, Plaquemine Lock State Historic Site
- Belle Chase - Belle Chase Ferry
- Lake Providence - Louisiana State Cotton Museum
- Edgard - Whitney Plantation, Evergreen Plantation
- Baton Rouge - USS Kidd Veterans Museum, Louisiana State Capitol, Louisiana Old State Capitol
- Valcherie - St. Joseph Plantation, Oak Alley Plantation, Laura Plantation
- Jackson - Port Hudson Historic Site
- New Roads - Parlange Plantation
- Port Allen - Old Ferry Landing
- New Orleans - Joan of Arc Statue, Jean Lafitte National Park, Jazz Museum, Andrew Jackson Statue
- Donaldsonville - Donaldsonville Park
- Venice - Great River Road Southern Terminus
- Darrow - Great River Road Museum
- Prairieville - Fort Jackson
- Morganza - Easy Rider Plaque
- Destrehan - Destrehan Plantation
- Chalmette - De La Ronde Ruins
- Newellton - Balmoral Ancient Native American Mounds
- Laplace - 1811 Kid Ory House
- Braithwaite - St. Bernard State Park
Great River Road - Louisiana
If you are riding with a group, we ask that every person using our route for navigation purchase their own copy.
In order to encourage this, we are happy to offer a discount for group purchases. Please contact us after purchasing 1 item at full price, and we will set up a coupon code that will give everyone in your group 50% off of the same item.
Our digital routes are designed to operate in most GPS devices. In addition to GPSs, our routes should work with several smartphone apps. They will NOT work on Google Maps or Apple Maps.
If you plan on using a smartphone app, we recommend the REVER app. REVER will work with both Android and iOS and in addition to navigation it has many other great features.
For best results in REVER, download the route to your computer first, then import into your smartphone. Turn by turn may not work, so we recommend that you utilize the "Follow the Line" option.
You can get 20% off your first year’s subscription to REVER by following THIS LINK.
AND using this coupon code at checkout: Driftlessforless.
By using this link and coupon code a portion of your subscription fee will go to support Driftless Roads USA.